I’d like to present to you my mom’s favorite dish to prepare. Today you will taste the savoring spices, and flavor of the traditional Mexican Salsa Roja. If you enjoy eating chips and salsa while watching your favorite TV show, or simply while you wait for your food at a Mexican restaurant, then you will love Chilaquiles.
Enjoy the Recipe. This Chilaquiles recipe has been passed down by my mom’s great grandmother. In mexico my grandmother would cook for her family, and always used a big pot. We laugh every time we see pictures of my grandmother in the kitchen with her big pot, because it is twice her size.
Maria Escobedo ‘s Salsa Roja (Red Sauce) Chilaquiles.
- 12 Tortillas (My mom uses Guerrero White Corn Tortillas.) You can use any type of tortillas you want, but it must be Corn Tortillas.
- 6 Red bell peppers, (you may use any type of pepper you want ex: Green peppers.)
- 3 tomatoes
- Mazola Corn Oil (Any cooking oil you’d like.)
- One Whole Onion
- Cacique Ranchero, Queso Fresco.
Step-By-Step Cooking Tutorial:
Step 1: Cut up the 12 Tortillas into wedges. My mom recommends pretending like you are cutting the tortillas into dipping chips.
Step 2: (The Traditional Part) Time to make the Salsa Roja (Red chili sauce)
- You will need; Cilantro, Red Bell Peppers, Garlic, Onion, and Lime.
- Step 1: Chop up 2 Red Bell Peppers. (Or use Chile De Arbol, My mom recommends this tree pepper, to add intensity to your Chilaquiles. Careful, this spice is spicy!!)
- Step 2: Cut up ¼ cup of cilantro, and 1 clove of garlic, then add a little squeeze of lime.
- Step 3: Prepare a pot to boil, sprinkle 2 tablespoons of olive oil, and dump your prepared salsa ingredients into the pot, and boil for 6-10 minutes on medium heat.
- Step 4: After your salsa ingredients are boiled, pull out your salsa blender,
(Make sure to have a designated salsa blender, because you do not want to be tasting red salsa on your morning smoothies.)
Add the Boiled Ingredients into the blender, and blend blend blend. Boom, you have Salsa Roja Ready to use. Enjoy with caution, your tongue may explode. (Just Joking.)
Step 3: Prepare a pan filled with ¼ cup of Mazola Corn OIl, then heat up the oil on medium heat. After 5 minutes, add a quarter of the tortilla wedges into the Oil pan.
Step 4: Every 5-6 minutes while the tortillas are fyring, make sure to take them out, place them on a Perforated Pan, let the oil drip away, while you sprinkle salt on the Tortilla wedges. You can add onions, or any toppings of your choice during this step.
Step 5: Once the tortilla wedges are fried to your liking, add your salsa into the pan, and mix it in. The tortilla wedges will turn into a red color, then heat them up on medium heat for 5 minutes.
Step 6: You are ready to taste the delicious chilaquiles. Yummm!
Now, time for dessert! Checkout our fellow classmates Arroz Con Leche for a delicious treat.
Make sure to add these to your shopping cart, on your next visit to the grocery store. 100% Mexican flavor that will add a genuine taste of flour.